Friday, December 2, 2011

Can We Just Slow Down the Time?

Time is going by too fast!
I have started putting a few things out for Christmas. I hope I finish up this weekend.
So far I've put out some of my vintage decorations.






Yesterday I went with the Women's Club in my neighborhood to the Annual Creche Festival at Mepkin Abbey in Monks Corner. This was my first year attending.


This was one of my favorites. It was made by a local artist here in the Charleston area. He used discarded materials to construct it! Things like old water tanks and old bed springs.

Wreath over the door to the Clare Boothe Luce Library

This was made by someone locally and the figures are oyster shells!


This one also used oyster shells for the figures! So creative! I'll never look at an oyster shell the same!

After our tour we stopped in the gift shop. I purchased a fruitcake made by the monks. They are struggling financially, so I wanted to do my part to help! And, I am one of the strange few that actually loves fruitcake!
This morning I had a shift at Middleton Place. I am starting to feel very comfortable doing the house tours. I had really big groups today, and they were ones that asked a lot of questions! But, I felt very confident answering them!
The house museum is already decorated for Christmas and looks so pretty. They used all natural clippings from the property for the arrangements.
Not a very busy weekend planned, but I do want to get our family photo for our Christmas card taken! The teens probably won't be too excited, but I would like to go out to Middleton and take it on the property.
Are your homes all decorated? I hope you will share photos!

5 comments:

  1. Nope, my house isn't decorated yet ... I had my grandkids this week and wanted to leave plenty of room for them to play. I plan to get our tree on Monday and decorate then. I need this weekend to recover from having the grands here. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...I love fruitcake as well! My favorite is Southern Supreme Fruitcake. I always buy from them at the Southern Christmas Show in Charlotte.

    We are decorated and I am working on Christmas cards this weekend (along with our Symphony Guilds Christmas Home tour tomorrow afternoon). Wish I could join you at Middleton...can you believe I have never been???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your vintage Christmas items! I've done almost all the decorating I'll do for this year.

    My one Charleston visit included a visit to Mepkin Abbey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the nativity inside the gourd, SO cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some really great decorations! I love the "noel" santas!

    ReplyDelete

Friends had this to say...