Friday, March 21, 2014

So glad this week is almost over!

This has been a really crappy week. One filled with lots of sadness and tragedy!

First off, last week when I went to pick up college son I went up on Thursday so I could make a visit to my best friend's mom. My best friend actually died 11 years ago next week, and I have tried to make it a point to visit with her parents when I go back to my hometown. Well the past three or so years I haven't been able to get over to their house and have mainly communicated through Christmas cards and mothers and fathers day cards. Not long ago friend's mom was diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis. When you look it up online one of the first things you see is that it has no cure and it is fatal. Life expectancy is 5 years from diagnosis! So, best friends husband had written a note in his Christmas card that things weren't good and that if I came up that way to try to visit her. I decided that NOTHING was going to keep me from seeing her, so I called as I was driving up and told her I would be coming straight to her house to see her. We had a great visit, but her SIL is right, it's not good! The past few months things have been deteriorating rather quickly. It breaks my heart. When I was growing up she and her husband were like second parents to me. In fact there are things that I do now in my life that I modeled after her! When I left, her husband (my second dad!) walked me out to the car and we talked a bit. He said that she almost didn't go that morning to receive her treatment that will hopefully slow the progression of the disease. I think that she is so tired and she feels like giving up since the treatments don't cure, just slow down. 

Then, early this week and friend of college son's died from taking several Xanax after consuming a large quantity of alcohol. So son ended up attending a funeral while home on spring break. So sad and such a tragedy!

On Tuesday another young person, same age as college son, committed suicide. I didn't really know her but she and her father and brother used to sit in the same pew our family did at church. So sad and tragic too.

On Wednesday morning a guy my husband knew, who was very close with husband's boss was found floating in the water at the marina where he kept his boat. Could have been a heart attack, but this guy lived on the edge, so could have really been anything. He was 53 years old.

And then if that wasn't enough, my sister,who has no children, sent me a text last night and their dog has an inoperable mass on his heart. And if I understood her last text he is not doing well and they were trying to decide if they should take him to the vet today and end his misery.

So, I am glad the week is almost over. Here's to hoping next week is full of good things!

7 comments:

  1. My goodness, my gracious, what a heartbreaking week! And they say things come in threes. Three times two! Praying next week is better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ye 'gods, bet you wondered what on earth you'd done in a past life to have such a horrible week... these things get thrown at us, but you are strong and it will get better... I had one year that was absolutely terrible, my mother died, her sisters, my cousins, and last one of all my dad, and the whole amount added to 13 people I lost that year.. so I have an inkling how you feel... but you are still here to help those left behind and I am sure your second parents felt as close to you as you to them and your being in their life has been beneficial all round.. I hope that you son is not grieving too hard for his friends, thats a place he is going to have to cope with as the years pass, but with you by his side, should help in everything... nothing that I have felt this week compares to what you have had to cope with, but I am sending big hugs for you all from across the pond..janzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. sending a HUG... so tragic when young lives leave us too soon..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. What a horrible week. No wonder you're glad to see the week come to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time stopping by.. such a tragic accident with the young boy. I am so sorry.
    Wishing you and the family peace.

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete

Friends had this to say...