Monday, October 8, 2012

Well here it is Monday morning. The past weekend ended up being really kind of emotional.
You know we got an offer on the house... It was pretty low, so we countered. Saturday they came back to look at the house again. Previously only the wife had looked with her children. Their realtor had told ours that their first offer was the best they could do and they had to close on or before the 30th of October.
I had not even started looking at houses because there was no need to look if our house wasn't sold. We are determined that we are not getting into a mortgage again! 
So I quickly started looking at what was online and available. Because we have one child that will still have two more years of high school we didn't want to move outside the lines to another high school. So, that really limits our prospects, but I thought that wouldn't be a problem since there was really only two neighborhoods I would consider. And in the past there were tons of houses for sale and some that I really liked!
Well, guess what? That was a problem!
There was NOTHING in the one neighborhood in our price range, (remember we want to pay cash). And in the other neighborhood there were only 4 houses that I would even consider, but none that I felt that excited about. I don't want to move just to move. Or to settle. 
So, after much back and forth we aren't going to accept their offer, they did come up $15,000 with a counter to our counter! I wonder what happened to "this is the most they can offer"? I really hate the whole making an offer game. Don't lie to me and tell me this is the best you can do, when obviously you can do more. Sure, you can play that "game" and we can go back and forth but don't think you can play on my emotions and get me to accept a low offer because I feel sorry for you. Just start with the low offer and leave all the sob stories out of the equation! One funny thing though, when they came back with a higher offer they  had a few things that they wanted too. One was the refrigerator. I started laughing when our realtor told me because it's 10 years old and the ice maker does this weird thing where the ice will sometimes start going down the back area of the freezer so I am always having to clean out ice that I keep finding on all the shelves. I didn't even plan to take it to the new house. Then they asked for the mirror in the powder room. Again, I wasn't even planning to take it! I mean why would I take the mirror from the bathroom? I did have to buy it when we moved in because the last owners took the one that was there when they left but I think it only cost $50 from Lowes! The last thing they asked for was the rug we have in the den. I really started laughing when I heard that! We have hardwood floors in there and I knew I needed something pretty comfortable for the kids to lay around on when they watched tv or whatever. I bought it probably 7 years ago and it is just a carpet remnant that I bought and had the edges bound so it looks like a big area rug. It is so dirty even though I am continually cleaning it! But I found it funny that they would even want it! It would have saved me from having to throw it away!
So, since we can't find a house we like we are going to have our realtor take it off the MLS, come get the lockbox and the sign out of our yard today. 
I think we will try to sell again in the spring of daughter's senior year. That way if we do sell and we can't find anthing, we could always put our stuff in storage and go live in the lake house until we could find what we like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friends had this to say...